A key point in building each brand, including place branding, is defining its identity. This identity reflects the desired, ideal image of the brand, presenting the most favourable image for the owners or managers of the brand (from their point of view). In other words, brand identity reflects the desired perception of the brand by its stakeholders. Brand identity should not be confused with brand image. The latter describes consumers’ ideas, opinions and associations. Brand image exists in their awareness as a response to the actions that communicate brand identity. The image is secondary in relation to the identity, because it is an effect of its perception.
The brand identity of each place should be based on its strong points, ones which are not only positive, but distinctive and reliable as well. They are also a source of benefits and motivation for members of the target groups to make decisions and act.
Brand identity is defined by its basic components, that build a specific structure and determine the range of its activities and the area of interactions with customers and other brands. Consistent and coherent brand building based on its identity leads to the creation of a strong, distinctive and fixed brand image. A condition of a well-designed brand identity is consistency across all its elements. Therefore, not only knowledge and experience are crucial, but also the strategic and analytical skills of the team responsible for designing the brand identity.
Areas of specialisation
- Defining the structure of brand identity by means of the author’s adapted methods of designing the brand identity (Bull’s Eye, Brand DNA, Brand Code)
- Analysing primary and secondary data necessary for defining the brand identity
- Designing and conducting strategic workshops with stakeholders with regard to the identity of the place
- Setting guidelines for the implementation of identity of the place branding
- Developing a brand identity for Warsaw
- Developing brand identity of Cracow region
- Developing the brand identity of ICHOT Porta Posnania in Poznań